Quaker Roots

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Another piece of good new, nearly four years later - I just discovered that my article on the 1688 Germantown Protest is being reprinted in a textbook on Pennsylvania: check it out here.

As for the original article, it was published in the Spring 2007 issue of Pennsylvania History. I can't link directly to the article here, but if you'd like to read a version, please just shoot me an email.

An update on me: I'm now working on my dissertation, which examines the effect of African slavery on Christianity. I'm focusing on the Quakers (surprise!), the Anglicans and the Moravians in the early modern period (17th-18th century). I'm trying to figure out why the majority of organized religions accepted slavery and created theological reasons for accepting African slavery.

I've started a companion blog to my dissertation, which can be found here - please check it out!

3 Comments:

  • Thanks Katie. Having just read an article about the protest of 1688 in Friends Journal, I found your blog that furthered my knowledge. This is fascinating and informative even to today. I gather that Pastorius was the principle author of the petition and am looking forward to learning more about him. Living here in Delaware, I will plan a trip to Philly and explore more on foot.

    Again, thanks.

    By Blogger Jack, at 10:17 AM  

  • Hi Katie,
    can you email me your dissertation on the petition? i'm mentioning the petition in a book i'm writing, and would like to find out more about it. does your dissertation include the full text of the petition?
    thanks
    robert gunn
    robertgunn@surewest.net

    By Anonymous robert gunn, at 2:33 PM  

  • hi,
    i should have said 'article':
    As for the original article, it was published in the Spring 2007 issue of Pennsylvania History. I can't link directly to the article here, but if you'd like to read a version, please just shoot me an email.
    thanks,
    robert

    By Anonymous robert gunn, at 2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home